This is the fastest mode of transport. It carries goods and passengers through airways by using different aircrafts like passenger aircraft, cargo aircraft, helicopters, etc. Besides passengers it generally carries goods that are less bulky or of high value. In hilly and mountainous areas where other mode of transport is not accessible, air transport is an important as well as convenient mode. It is mostly used for transporting goods and passengers during natural calamities like earthquake and floods, etc. During war, air transport plays an important role in carrying soldiers as well as supplies to the required areas.
Air transport may be classified as domestic and international air transport. While domestic air transport mainly facilitates movement within the country, international air transport is used for carrying goods and passengers between different countries. Air transport is carried out in fixed air routes, which connect almost all the countries.
Advantages of Air transport
i . It is the fastest mode of transport.
ii . It is very useful in transporting goods and passengers to the area, which are not accessible by any other means.
iii . It is the most convenient mode of transport during natural calamities.
- iv. It provides vital support to the national security and defence.
Limitations of air transport
It has the following limitations.
- It is relatively more expensive mode of transport.
- It is not suitable for transporting heavy and bulky goods.
- It is affected by adverse weather conditions.
- It is not suitable for short distance travel.
- In case of accidents, it results in heavy losses of goods, property and life.