Objectivity and Subjectivity
Objectivity is the capital importance for the growth of healthy historical studies. Herodotus and Greeks freed history from mythology. Voltaire stressed upon the importance of reason. Ranke stressed the importance of objectivity in historical writing. These developments contributed objectivity in historical writing. This contributed to the emergence of history as an independent branch of study.
Objectivity stands for what is true or real. It is being free from personal bias, sentimental approach and not being one sided or personal, being real, it will be same, who-ever writes it.
Bias of a person who writes it. Truth is for objectivity, prejudice is for subjectivity and favorable to the facts and personal. Historical research needs judicious combination of imagination and respect for facts directed towards finding the truth presented in a balanced language.
Need for Objectivity:
It is possible to understand the real history, only when it is written objectively. A historian must be a social agent. A view accepted as true by one generation is considered as out of date for another generation. It is because the writer writes related to his taste, prejudices, customs and commitments. Hence, it operates in different ways, sometimes to commit fraud, forgery, distortion and exaggeration.
Scope for Working on Subjectivity:
- When the historian is faced with a variety of themes, he is compelled to choose the theme for writing. Now he can investigate an area that he like or promotes his interest. Thus subjectivity element comes in the selection of topic itself.
- While collecting data also, subjectivity involves, by collecting only certain data or recordings of your interest.
- He examines the data of only the collected ones depending on his taste and idea.
- There is a question of approach while writing an interpreting, he looks back socio economic political and the likes. So, now he focused on his likes and dislikes. .Finally as a Judge, he has to look into both aspect and pass the verdict. These factors leads to subjectivity approach.
- The British historian of India are unfair to India. While the Indian historians of the nationalist are unfair to British.
Human values are divided into two – common values and individual values. Individual values are peculiar to each individual. Subjectivity arises, when a person write about his group and individual values.
Essentials of Objectivity:
There are various difficulties in writing objectively. But to emerge as a successful historian, one needs to cultivate the habit of objectivity. Criticism, analysis involves balance presentation.
Factors Contributing of Objectivity:
- An essential requisite for a historian is to have a curiosity to gather information from all possible sources.
- All sources cannot be included into the work.
- He is to cultivate the historical sense.
- In the process of writing, he is to take care that subjectivity does not come into work.