- The Rashtrakudas occupied the most important place in the history of Deccan.
- They had an extensive, powerful and glorious empire. Krishna-III reached upto Rameshwaram.
- The important rulers were Indra-I , Dantidurga , Krishna , Govinda-II , Dhruva , Govinda-III , Sarva or Amoghavarsha and Krishna –II
- Rashtrakudas were the first to attack North India. They defeated Prathiharas , Palas , the Chalukyas, the Cholas of the south .
- They earned the titles like Parameshwara, Parambattaraka , Maha rajadhiraja
- The empire was divided into Rastras , Bhuktis , and villages. Rastrapatis or Vispatis look after the district administration.
- Kailash temple of Ellora is the most famous temple of Rashtrakutas in South India
Hiuen Tsang on India
- The Chinese traveller Hiuan Tsang visited India during the time of Harsha.
- He wrote ‘Si-Yu-Ki’ or Record of the western countries, it is known as the best source to known about the Socio- cultural condition of India at that time.
- His main aim was to study Buddhism and collect its religious texts.
- He stayed in India for 14 years. From Taxila, went to Kashmir, Matura, Kannuj, Sravarti, Ayadhya, Kapilavadu, Kvsinagara and stayed at Nalanda for 5years.
- He said Kannauj as a beautiful city.
- Indians used cotton, silk, wool and wrote Indians were lovers of education literature and Fine arts.
- He praised that Harsha spend 3/4th of the Revenue for religious purpose.
- Banabhatta wrote Harshacharita, one of the greatest master piece in Sanskrit prose.
- This biography provides valuable information about the period of Harshavardahana.
- It is written in kavya
- The Pala Dynasty was the ruling Dynasty in Bihar and Bengal in Ancient India.
- Pala dynasty was founded by Gopala in 750 AD.
- He established his dominance and stronghold in Kamarupa.
- Dharmapala succeeded Gopala.
- The Palas became the most powerful kingdom in the Northern and Eastern India during Dharmapala reign
- Dharmapala, a pious Buddhist king founded Vikramshila University.
- Hemandasena established the Sena Dynasty
- The greatest ruler of the Sena dynasty and the real founder was Vijaysena
- He contributed to revival of Hinduism and Sanskrit Literature in Bengal
- Jeyadeva the author of Halayudha and Geeta Govinda was patronised by the Senas.
- The dynasty of Pratiharas was founded by Harichandra in 6th century AD.
- Nagabhatta-I was the first important ruler of this dynasty. He ruled from 730 AD to 756 AD.
- His kingdom was including Gwalior, Bharuch and Malwa. Awanti was the capital of his kingdom.
- Nagabhatta II was the most illustrious king of Pratihara dynasty.
- He is best known for rebuilding the Somnath Temple in 815 AD. Mihirbhoja was the other important king of the dynasty.
- He studied in Nalanda university.
- He stayed in India between 673-688 came as pilgrimage.
- He wrote the book tittled ‘A record of the Buddhist religion as practised in India and the Maly Archipelago’